It has been, indeed, a blessing to share a few of my thoughts on youth ministry over the past year. On this last piece, I want you to think of youth ministry as a journey you are taking. Before you leave, you will need to pack a few items to take. Below are just a few things that you should have in your carry-on bag for quick access…
1) Have Fun! This does not mean planning social outings every week, rather it means infusing fun into everything you do. Be just as light-hearted as a child. I am not convinced that Jesus was or is as boring as our movie interpretations paint him out to be. Mark 10:15
2) Have Passion! Jesus demonstrated this best when turning over tables in the temple! Matthew 21:12-13
3) Have Sabbath! You cannot accomplish anything if you are always exhausted. Even Jesus knew how to get away for a retreat every now and then. Mark 1:35
4) Have Prayer! One of my church’s greatest moments in youth ministry was soaked in prayer. By that, I mean we prayed and fasted as a community before we did something. 1 Thessalonians 5:18, Mark 9:14-29
5) Have Courage! This thing called ministry takes guts sometimes. Remember that God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, love, and of a sound mind! 2 Timothy 1:7
6) Have Faith! Know that God leads the way and will fulfill all promises made to you. Go forth to serve, “Being confident of this very thing, He that hath begun a good work in you, shall complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” Philippians 1:6
This is not an exhaustive list, of course. If you think that there are other essentials we must take with us, then please comment and tell everyone what else you packed in your baggage!
May God’s peace rest upon you! May God’s blessings enrich you and the ministry you lead!
Minister to Youth and Families
Metropolitan AMEZ, Kansas City, MO
Chair youTheology Advisory Board
PS We thank Arionne for the insights she has shared over the last year. Her voice continues at AriSpeaks.
Loving God, Loving Neighbor